UIM Class-1 World Powerboat Championship
No other venue provides a better stage for the UIM Class 1 World Powerboat Championship than Abu Dhabi International Marine Sports Club.
Launched in 2010, the Class 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is the decisive final round of the series and provides a magnificent platform for offshore powerboat racing at its best.
Spectators drawn by the spectacle of seeing 900hp engines powering the Class 1 catamarans at speeds of up to 250kmh are given a wonderful close up view by a course piercing the Breakwater and Corniche.
When the boats sweep further out to sea, TV cameras perched atop some of Abu Dhabi’s tallest towers ensure viewers around the world miss none of the action.
The modern era of offshore powerboat racing begun in the mid-1950s and the UIM Class 1 World Powerboat Championship came into being in 1992.
Each Grand Prix consists of three official practice sessions, one official pole position qualifying session to set starting grid positions, and two races on consecutive days.
In addition to the overall Class 1 championship the series features a Pole Position championship, as well as a V1 championship for monohull boats.
For more information visit www.class-1.com
CLASS 1 TEAM ABU DHABI
Team Abu Dhabi is a leading force in the UIM Class 1 World Powerboat Championship after an historic 2015 season.
The experienced combination of throttleman John Tomlinson and driver Gary Ballough secured the team’s first ever Class 1 world title on home waters during the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Emiratis, Rashid Al-Tayer and Majid Al-Mansoori, in the other Team Abu Dhabi boat finished fourth in the championship in their first season of Class 1 racing. They finished fifth in Abu Dhabi and second and fourth in the two season opening races in Salerno in Italy.
Their performance underlined the effectiveness of the team’s commitment to create opportunities for Emiratis to compete at the top level, and use top professionals to guide them towards success.
The team’s manager is the vastly experienced powerboat builder and former competitor Randy Scism, who won the Class 1 world title in 1999.
The UIM Class 1 World Powerboat Championship was placed on hold for the 2016 season until a new series promoter was put in place, but Abu Dhabi hosted a one-off three-race meeting in November 2016 and Team Abu Dhabi entered two boats.
GARY BALLOUGH (C1 Team Abu Dhabi) - Boat # 6, Driver
- Nationality : USA
- Place & Date of Birth: 14/03/1957, Lake Worth, USA
- CLASS 1 STATS
- Class 1 debut: 2014
- Races Entered: 4
- Podium Finishes 3
- 2nd: 2014 Abu Dhabi R2
- 3rd: 2014 Terracina R1, Abu Dhabi R1
JOHN TOMLINSON (C1 Team Abu Dhabi) - Boat # 6, Throttleman
- Nationality : USA
- Place & Date of Birth: 29/06/1962, Miami, USA
- CLASS 1 STATS
- Class 1 debut: 1997
- Races Entered: 20
- WOC Race Wins 5
- 1997: St. Petersburg, Arendal, Oslo, Dubai - 2010: Abu Dhabi R1
- Podium Finishes 6
- 2nd: - 2010 Dubai R1 - 2014 Abu Dhabi R2
- 3rd: - 2014 Terracina R1, Abu Dhabi R1
- Pole Position/TT Wins 2
- 1997 Dubai - 2011 Abu Dhabi
- World Champion 1997
- European Champion 1997
John made his Class 1 debut in 1997, winning the World and European Championships, and is regarded as one of the world’s leading throttlemen. In a racing career spanning 24-years he has amassed 132 race wins, lifting 40 national titles, winning either the APBA, SBI or OSS American Championships for the last 14 years.
Rashed Al Tayer (C1 Team Abu Dhabi) Boat # 5, Driver
- Nationality : U.A.E.
- Place & Date of Birth: 05-01-1979, Dubai, U.A.E.
- CLASS1 POWERBOAT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP:
- 2012 - 2nd World Champion
- 2014 - 7th World Champion
- 2015 - 4th World Champion
- XCAT WORLD SERIES:
- 2015 - 2nd World Champion
Rashed stepped up to the top-flight of international powerboat racing to make his Class 1 driving debut in the Brazilian Grand Prix in 2010, taking his first two race wins in Sweden. He has competed in a variety of marine sports; finishing third in the Aquabike World Championship in 2004, then going on to dominate in Jet Ski competition, winning the Kuwait, Qatar and UAE Championships in 2004 and 2005, retaining his UAE title the following year. In 2007 Rashed finished third in the F2 Presidents Cup in Abu Dhabi, and in 2009 competed in the XCAT Middle East Championship.
Majed Al Mansoori (C1 Team Abu Dhabi) Boat # 5, Throttleman
- Nationality : U.A.E.
- Place & Date of Birth: 28-6-1981, Abu Dhabi U.A.E.
- From 1997 till 2006:
- Majed competed in UAE JET SKI RACE. During these ten years; He stepped many times the podium to have trophies for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall place.
- From 1997 to 2006:
- Majed competed in the UIM President’s Cup F2000 Championship, He stepped many times the podium but the best result was on 2006 - 3rd overall place.
- From 2008 to 2015
- Majed competed in the UAE Wooden Powerboat Race. He won many rounds but his best results were:
- 2008 – 3rd overall place
- 2014 – 2nd overall place
- 2015 – 2nd overall place
- 2011 and 2012 Majed has competed in the Nations Cup (Powerboat) and he won the title two times in
- 2011 – World Champion
- 2012 – World Champion
- 2001-2002: Majed competed in the UIM CLASS III (6 Ltr) World Offshore Championship, his best results were:
- 2001 – 4th overall place
- 2002 – 2nd overall place
- 2012 – 2015: Majed competed in the UIM Class1 Powerboat World Championship, his best results were:
- 2012 – 2nd World Champion
- 2014 – 7th World Champion
- 2015 – 4th World Champion
Majed has competed in a variety of marine sports; such as UAE JET SKI RACE, UAE WOODEN POWERBOAT RACE, F2000 President Cup Powerboat Championship, F-4s Eurofin Trophy , F1H20 World Championship, Offshore Class III Middle East Championship, Class1 Powerboat World Championship, XCAT World Series.